Saturday, December 7, 2013

14 Days of Instruction: My Three-Week Goal

"A coach's greatest asset is his sense of responsibility - the reliance put on him by his players." - Knute Rockne

The later-than-normal Thanksgiving created a calendar providing three-weeks of instruction sandwiched by our first semester "breaks".  These 15 days of instruction are crucial for our teachers to produce rigorous instruction, maintain high levels of student engagement, and continue to move our students along the hierarchy of Revised Bloom's Taxonomy.  We will only have seven "instructional" days upon returning in 2014 before the North Carolina Final Exams and End-of-Course Exams begin.  These 15 days are pivotal to our entire school academic community.

I like to set short-term goals to maintain my own focus and consider myself to have a goal-oriented leadership style.  Therefore, I set a personal goal over the next 14 days of instruction (I am excluding December 20th):


At least one Formal (45 minutes)/Informal (20 minutes) Observation, plus three Walk-Through's with feedback, every single day.
The feedback from Walk-Through's will be communicated using the FormEmailer with my Google Form, which I shared in a September post (Walk Through Forms with FormEmailer) and have used throughout the school-year.  Every teacher within my instructional supervision will be observed formally/informally/WT once before I move to the "second round" within these three weeks.  Also, I keep track of the specific block observed in an attempt to maintain balance among 1st, 2nd, and 4th Blocks.

In my Bi-Weekly Update video, I shared my three-week goal to be held accountable by my teachers:


My three-week instructional goal will (hopefully) provide instructional visibility in the classroom, ensuring academic focus by both teachers and students.  The accountability will require my time management to be strong during these the weeks leading up to Christmas break.

If my goal is reached, 14 Formal/Informal Observations will be completed and 42 Walk-Through's with feedback will be shared, totaling 56 actions.

Wish me luck!

Thanks for reading,

CS


Addendum:













2 comments:

  1. I like the video updates. Something I'm going to steal when I get a position. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave. I keep them archived here: http://blogofcraigsmith.blogspot.com/p/weekly-updates-to-bmc-academy.html

    ReplyDelete