Tuesday, October 7, 2014

My Business Is...

During my recent Bi-Weekly Video Podcast, I asked teachers to reflect upon their common purpose and complete this sentence:

"My business is..."

I garnered this idea from the summer book study of our administrative team, Be Our Guest: Perfecting the Art of Customer Service, written by the Disney Institute.  The reflection moment provided an opportunity for teachers contemplate and share, in their own words, what their "business is" as educators.

While many educators could discuss their "business" for paragraphs, my request was for only 1-2 sentences.

Here are the responses (anonymously, of course):

My business is...

...to create a safe, challenging, and engaging learning atmosphere!  I am the seller and the students are my buyers!

...to effectively collaborate with a team of educators to create and educational environment that allows students to obtain 21st century skills.

...to connect with students in a way that will not only help them master content but understand the connections to the real world.

...to improve the lives of teenagers by teaching them content, character, and setting a good example for them at all times.

...making my students and players into the best citizens that they can be.

...to equip the next generation with the skills to think and create and change the world.

...teaching kids.

...to develop citizens of character dedicated to serving their nation and community.  

...to instill values of citizenship, give service to the United States, develop a personal responsibility, and instill a sense of accomplishment in high school students.

...helping children mature into lifetime learners.

...teach students mathematical concepts day in and day out.  

...creating interest in the subject through my energy and love for math.

...to create a learning environment that nurtures and fulfills the potential of all students.

...to create a learning environment that nurtures and fulfills the potential of all students.

...to prepare my students for life after high school to the best of my abilities with what I teach.

...providing a safe environment for all students and supporting our teachers through instructional supervision. (mine)

...to give society well-mannered, intellectually smart and socially acceptable human beings that understand education does not mean just being literate.

...to provide my students with a positive and useful learning experience.

...for students to acquire knowledge of science, interpersonal relationships, stress management, study habits, and other general areas that they can apply in their life outside of high school.

What is your business?

Thank you for reading,

CS

The opinions shared in this blog belong to Craig Smith and do not represent the school or district in which he works.

No comments:

Post a Comment