Thursday, January 7, 2016

"I Can" Statements and RBT

When writing and planning appropriate "I can" statements aligned with the Common Core and Essential Standard curriculum, it is important to utilize the verbs in Revised Bloom's Taxonomy.

I hold tremendous value on "I can" statements as instructional goals among the teacher and their students, creating shared ownership of the learning.

These verbs are associated with the appropriate level of RBT, beginning with Lower Order Thinking Skills and progressing towards Higher Order thinking skills:

Remember: recognize, recall

Understand: interpret, classify, explain, infer, exemplify, summarize, compare


Apply: execute, implement


Analyze: differentiate, attribute, organize


Evaluate: check, critique


Create: plan, generate, produce, design

ex. I can summarize a point of view as how the author feels about a topic.
ex. I can differentiate the characteristic of real, rational, irrational, and complex numbers.

Thanks for viewing,

CS

The opinions shared in this blog belong to Craig Smith and do not represent the school or district in which he works.

No comments:

Post a Comment